harbour island Real Estate and Information
Harbour Island was originally known as Seddon Island, which was named after W. L. Seddon, chief engineer for the Seaboard Air Line railroad. In 1906, a public hearing was held to plan a new port for the city. Seddon's plans were adopted and soon his company dredged a channeland established a port facility on Grassy Island. The 177 acres (72 ha) island was later purchased from the Seaboard Coast Line in 1979 for residential, office and retail development purposes. The first phase of development did not begin until 1985.
Today, the island consists of mostly exclusive residential areas, with high-end hotels, nightclubs and cafes at the northernmost strip. This beautiful island paradise offers some small local restaurants like Café Dufrain, a modern and seasonal restaurant offering American cuisine with views of the waterfront.
The TECO Streetcar "In-Town" trolley connects the island to Downtown and Channelside.